This page is under construction
75% Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy for Employers (CEWS)
What is it?
- As a Canadian employer whose business has been affected by COVID-19, you may be eligible for a subsidy of 75% of employee wages for up to 12 weeks, retroactive from March 15, 2020, to June 6, 2020.
- This wage subsidy will enable you to re-hire workers previously laid off as a result of COVID-19, help prevent further job losses, and better position you to resume normal operations following the crisis.
Updated Information: ON May 15, 2020, the Government of Canada announces that CEWS will be extended by an additional 12 weeks to August 29, 2020.
Who is eligible?
- Businesses, charitable or not-for-profit organizations that have experienced at least a 15% decline in revenue in March 2020 and a 30% decline in revenue in April and/or May 2020, when compared to the same
month in 2019. Businesses may alternatively choose to compare against the average revenue earned in January and February 2020. Businesses may use either cash or accrual accounting methods in calculations, however not both.
- Public bodies are not eligible for this subsidy.
- Eligible remuneration includes amounts you paid an employee as salary, wages and other taxable benefits, fees, and commissions. These are amounts employers would be required to make payroll deductions on to be remitted to the CRA
- The government has an FAQ page available here.
How to apply?
Beginning April 27, applications will be open for the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy.
- Most businesses may apply using My Business Account
- If you represent a business, you may apply using Represent a Client
- Alternatively, you may apply using a separate online application form (available April 27) Full application details and a subsidy calculator are now available online here: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/subsidy/emergency-wage-subsidy/cews-calculate-subsidy-amount.html
The CEWS will be processed at the payroll program (RP) account level, so you will have to file a separate application for each RP account.