Contract Term: Full-Time/Permanent position with benefits
To Apply: Please email your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Economic Development Coordinator’ in the subject line. We thank all applications for their interest; however, we will only be contacting those being considered for this role. Duke Heights BIA is an equal opportunity employer.
Apply by February 15th, 2019
The DUKE Heights Business Improvement Area requires an Economic Development Coordinator on a full-time basis. This is a salaried position with full benefits on a permanent basis. Salary expected to range up from $85,000.
The DHBIA is one of the biggest BIA’s in North America, has over 2500 businesses, 32,000 employees and is visited by over 34,000 people every workday. As part of an Employment Hub strategy to attract employment and create growth in the area, the DHBIA has engaged in the creation of an Economic Development strategy geared towards focusing economic growth in five key sectors. This is the first time in North America that a local economic development of this nature has been undertaken by a BIA.
The Coordinator will manage a portfolio of activities that range from the execution and supervision of economic development within the BIA, research, design strategy management and reporting to funders and other stakeholders. The key components approved by the Board of Directors of the BIA are to:
1. Aid in the development of new businesses (e.g. startup entrepreneurs)
2. Create interest in sale/lease of space locally (e.g. “headhunting” for new large businesses to move in to area)
3. Networking with other stakeholders (e.g. finding large tenants for the area)
The successful candidate will need to grow the project from the DHBIA’s existing base of work to date and manage a much more aggressive timeline. The project will require strict deliverables targets and will reporting will happen on a monthly basis to the Economic Development Committee of the BIA.
The Coordinator will play a critical role in supporting the DHBIA in planning, creating and implementing strategies that promote local economic strategies in the area. Key to the project will be the ability to develop quick ways engage with local businesses, stakeholders and prospective businesses that wish to move into the area.
The Coordinator will report to the Executive Director of the DHBIA and will primarily work at the DUKE Heights BIA office, but will frequently work around Toronto, primarily in North York, due to the nature of the position.
Responsibilities and qualifications of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Coordinating ongoing meetings with Economic Development Committee
• Participating in Employment Hub Advisory group
• Coordinating activities with other DHBIA staff and collaborating to carry out common objectives on Employment Hub strategy
• Meeting with members of the DHBIA as often as possible
• Continuing to build connections between organizations and leaders in the area
• Developing timeline for project development and maintaining targets
• Building database of contacts relevant to project
• Working with stakeholders and Economic Development offices at different levels of government to create opportunities locally for BIA members
• Providing frequent updates and progress reports to the Executive Director and the Board of the DHBIA, as required
• Strong communicator with high-level organizational skills
• Familiarity with Economic Development strategies the DHBIA and its region
• Comfortable managing partnerships and working with a diverse range of stakeholders
• Experience managing consultants
• Experience working with the private sector
• Experience working with the not for profit employment sector
• Experience working with real estate brokers and property managers
• Ability to succeed in a fast-paced, rapidly changing, results-driven workplace
• Self-starter able to succeed with minimal supervision
• Post-secondary education or experience in Finance, Economics, Business, Government Relations or Communications or related fields is preferred